Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Adventure from Portland to Main St

I have been searching for a place to live (AGAIN!) It's so frustrating. This time I figured I would have an advantage being in the city... well I think I was wrong.  This is the tale of my journey today...

I left the House, caught the bus (rain rain rain on top of snow snow snow) for two stops and viewed place 1 of 3. This guy had a movie collection to rival mine!!! I loved the set up.. there was just one teensy problem, and that is the teensy room. We both agreed, it probably wouldn't even fit my queen-sized bed.  I left feeling a little disheartened but hopeful for the next two.

I caught a bus to Edmonds and got on the skytrain to Joyce. From there caught a bus. This was the first bus I have been on in a loooong time (not counting the shuttle buses).  It was packed full, I asked the bus driver for some help finding my stop, he was a little rude to me. However, I must have looked cute in my lost/distraught face, because a nice guy asked if I needed help. Looked at my directions and told me it would still be awhile, told me the route the bus takes and all that jazz. He was very nice, wishing me luck as he got off the bus. Made me feel a bit at ease. When I finally got to my stop, I had to figure out how I was going to cross the busy street... OH VAY! I hoped I was heading the right direction since I had to walk the rest of the way...

Place 2 of 3: Two nice girls from Whitehorse, but this place just didn't have the relaxed feel.. it had no room to be relaxed!! Again, the room I would be renting was teensy A little worried that it wouldn't fit my bed either (starting to wonder why I need a queen sized) It was sad because I really liked the girl but it was just so cramped feeling.. I like my space.

Left to go on to the final place... catch the bus to continue the route and get to Gilmore station. I have never been at this point in the Milennium Line, so I had to ask a nice translink cop for help. He directed me and I went on my way. Transferred at Commercial to Broadway and eventually got to Main. Right at Main St & Terminal Ave, is a wonderful little Starbucks. They still have the recently old machines and were so friendly. The barista and I shared a laugh and my drink was PERFECT (which is so rare around here) I was impressed... because of my Starbucks stop, I missed two of the buses I was supposed to catch. Since they came right after eachother, I figured, there would be another in no time.. I was *wrong*  I watched numerous of the other buses pass me by. I was freezing by this time.. soaking wet up to my knees. 

However, it's here at Main Street that I decided I loved this area. People were chatty and a guy was really funny asking for a smoke and/or spare change for a beer. He yelled it at everyone at the stop to "save time asking individually" He made me giggle. Then the cops arrested someone on the other side of the street... Finally, my bus comes, I watch the streets and finally make it to my stop. I get out and venture to the place I am viewing now.

Place 3 of 3: A little on the old side, with a musky scent.. but the room was HUGE!! I could make it a bedroom/living room area!! But it needed new paint, carpet needed to be cleaned.. but I thought, I could paint it.. this could be a project!! So I said, "I'm in. Is there anything to sign"
Potential Roomie (PR): "Nope, do you have money?"
Me: "Not on me,  I usually don't carry cash and I don't have much money 'til next payday"
PR: "Oh well, can't you borrow it from friends or family?"
Me: (feeling awkward at this point)"No, I don't ask for money from them.. it's rude and I have pride"
PR: "Well, do you have.. things?"
Me: "Things? Look, I can give you references. When I say I want this place, I mean it. I am not going back on my word. "
PR: "I would like to believe you but I can't"
Me: "Well I don't know then."
PR: "do you have *things*?"
Me: "I Don't understand, do you mean collateral? Because I don't"
PR: "Okay, I want to give this place to you... but..."
Me: "I really need to go, I will let you know tomorrow."

So I left.. feeling uneasy. Why would she expect  me to just hand over some cash and not sign anything.. I am sorry but I will *not* do that. Plus her comment on do I have any "things" put me off. I talked to my uncle and my mom, they agree.. I should go with my instinct of not taking that place and wait. I left there feeling terrible.. I hate searching for a home.. It shouldn't be this hard.. I know exactly what I want but I am unable to attain it. I want the nice apartment but it's impossible with my credit.  I still have debt looming over my head from aka house.. I feel like it will never leave me. I will never have that nice city apartment. 

In other joyful news, I found out today that my Uncle accidentally spilt Elk's blood on my box spring... wonderful. Haha. No worries though, he cleaned it off right away.. **shudders**

Now to go back to searching for a home...

2 comments:

  1. DO NOT take a place like that last one! I agree with your aunt and uncle, it sounds sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, I won't I should be looking at more places tomorrow night and Friday

    ReplyDelete